Schedule of Classes


Admissions & Registration Important Dates Academic Information Other Information Classes
Admissions Process 2015-16 Academic Calendar Certificates/Degrees Alert

Fall 2015 Classes

Academic Placement Add/Drop Deadlines Course Sequence, English Contact Information Classes Still Open for Enrollment (Updated weekday mornings)
Counseling Financial Aid Deadlines Course Sequence, Math Fees/Refunds Complete Schedule of Classes  
Priority Registration -- Spring 2015 Faculty Office Hours Course Sequence, Reading General Information  
Adding and
Dropping Courses
Final Exam Schedule Maximum Units of Enrollment (Study Load) Services Available for Students

Summer 2015 Classes

Wait List   College Policies Classes Still Open for Enrollment (Updated weekday mornings)
How to Navigate the Web (General Info, Account Info, Registration, Financial Aid, etc.) Complete Schedule of Classes  
How to Navigate Online Classes

2015 - 16 Academic Calendar

Summer Semester (2015)


8 Week

June 8 – July 30, 2015

6 Week

June 22 – July 30, 2015

Independence Day Observed

July 2, 2016 (Thursday)

Fall Semester (2015)

August 17 – December 18, 2015


August 14, 2015 (Friday)

Classes Begin

August 17, 2015 (Monday)

Labor Day

September 7, 2015 (Monday)

Veteran’s Day

November 11, 2015 (Wednesday)

Thanksgiving Holidays

November 26 – 27, 2015 (Thursday & Friday)


December 12 – 18, 2015 (Saturday – Friday)

Winter Break

December 24-25; 30-31 (Closed 12/24-1/3)

New Year’s Day

January 1, 2016 (Friday)

Spring Semester (2016)

January 11 – May 20, 2016

Classes Begin

January 11, 2016 (Monday)

Martin Luther King Jr Day

January 18, 2016 (Monday)

Lincoln Day

February 12, 2016 (Friday)

Washington Day

February 15, 2016 (Monday)

Spring Break

March 14 – 20, 2016 (Monday – Sunday)


May 14 – 20, 2016 (Saturday – Friday)


May 20, 2016 (Friday)

Memorial Day

May 30, 2016 (Monday)

Summer Semester (2016)


8 Week

June 6 – July 29, 2016

6 Week

June 20 – July 29, 2016

Independence Day Observed

July 4, 2016 (Monday)

Contact Information

Barstow Community College
2700 Barstow Road
Barstow, CA 92311
Phone (760) 252-2411 * Fax (760) 252-1875 * TDD/TTY (760) 252-6759

Email the Student Services Help Desk at

Admissions Process

New Students/New Transfer Students

Never Been to Any
College Before or Previously Attended Another College

Frequently Asked Questions visit:

    Step 1: Admissions

Returning Students

Enrolled Before at BCC,
But Not Last Semester

Step 1: Submit an updated Application for Admission

Step 2: If you did not previously complete or you have not attended for more than three years

  • New Student Orientation
  • Academic Placement
  • Counseling to create a student education plan

Step 3: Financial Aid

Step 4: Proceed to Registration

Continuing Students

Enrolled Last Semester at BCC

    Step 1: Financial Aid (if applicable)

    Step 2: Proceed to Registration

Academic Placement

Prior to completing academic placement, students must submit an Application for Admission.

Location: Learning Resource Center, Computer Commons
Walk-in only; Photo I.D. required

Testing starts promptly and lasts approximately 2 hours
(760)252-2411, ext. 7288

Online students should visit

and review the information listed under Assessment

Fall and Spring Summer
Monday - Thursday 8:00am 5:45pm 8:00am 7:45pm
Friday 8:00am 3:45pm Closed


Barstow Community College offers comprehensive counseling services to assist students in meeting educational, vocational, and personal goals. Every student should meet with a counselor early to plan a course of study. Each new, matriculated student must see a counselor in order to register and enroll. Counseling is available on a walk-in or appointment basis. You may contact a counselor by phone or by email at the numbers below.
ACCESS 760/252-2411, ext. 7225
EOPS/CARE, CalWORKs, VTEA 760/252-2411, ext. 7255
Ft. Irwin 760/252-2411, ext. 7617
General Counseling 760/252-2411, ext. 7351
By Email for general or for Ft. Irwin.

Financial Aid Deadlines

A number of financial aid programs are available for Barstow Community College students, including enrollment fee waivers and grants. Many BCC students qualify for some form of aid. Apply by completing the current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at using school code 001119.

Deadlines/Disbursement Dates

For more information contact Financial Aid by email at or by phone at (760) 252-2411 ext 7205.

Priority Registration Information
Summer 2015

There is no priority registration in the Summer 2015 Semester. For all students the first registration date is May 11, 2015.

Priority Registration Information
Fall 2015
Barstow Community College provides priority registration for students who enroll for the purpose of degree or certificate attainment, transfer to a four-year college or university, or career advancement for the fall and spring semesters. Summer will not have a priority system for registration.

Priority registration shall only be granted to those students who have completed orientation, assessment, and developed a student education plan. Education plans must be updated at 15 completed units and 45 completed units for continued eligibility for priority registration. Higher priority will be granted to those students who indicated an education goal of:

  • Obtain an AA degree and transfer to a 4-year institution
  • Transfer to a 4-year institution without an AA degree
  • Obtain a two year vocational degree without transfer
  • Earn a vocational certificate without transfer
  • Improve basic skills in English, reading or math

Completed units include all units evaluated and posted on the student’s BCC transcript.

Registration priority specified above shall be lost at the first registration opportunity after a student:

  • Is placed on academic or progress probation or any combination thereof as defined by Board Policy and Procedure 4250 for two consecutive terms; or
  • Has earned one hundred (100) or more degree-applicable units; or
  • Has earned a degree.

For this section a unit is earned when a student receives a grade of A, B, C, D, or P as defined in Board Policy and Procedure 4230.

Contacts for Priority Groups:



Foster Youth:


All other students:

Fall 2015

29-June Tier 1 Active Duty Military, Veterans, Foster Youth, EOPS, ACCESS, CalWORKS
6-July Tier 2 Athletes; Students who have COMPLETED 60 units; students participating in Bridge to College Success
13-July Tier 3 Students who have completed 45-60 units and have declared an appropriate education goal; Active duty family members
20-July Tier 4 All other continuing and returning students and recent high school graduates from our service area (Baker Valley Unified School District, Barstow Unified School District, Excelsior Charter School (Barstow Campus), Silver Valley Unified School District)
27-July Open Newly admitted students and those students who did not meet requirements to receive priority registration

Web registration is available 24 hours Monday-Sunday.

Adding and Dropping Classes

To add or drop classes you must go to the Registration Area. A student who is not officially registered or auditing cannot attend classes. Step-by-step tutorials on adding and dropping classes are available at

If a student must drop a class(es), it is the student's responsibility to officially withdraw from the class. Do not rely on an instructor to drop you.

Registering / Adding a Class

Priority Registration to 1st day of class No instructor authorization is required. If a class is closed, you may add your name to the waitlist. If space becomes available the waitlist will automatically send notification to you at the email address on your student account. You will have 72 hours after notification to complete the registration process. If you are unable to register in that time frame your name will be removed from the waitlist.
1st day of class to 20% of class You will need an add authorization code from the instructor. The last official date to add the course is listed for each course in the complete schedule of classes.

Wait List

Once a class is closed, students may add their names to the waitlist until the waitlist becomes full or until the Friday before the class begins, whichever occurs first. If a student drops the class, creating an opening for enrollment, the first student on the waitlist will be sent an automated email with information regarding the deadline by which registration must occur. The student will be allowed 72 hours to login to the web registration system and add the class. If the first student does not successfully add the class within 72 hours, the student will be deleted from the waitlist and the next student will be sent the automated email. If students miss the 72 hour period in which registration may occur, they must login and add their name back to the bottom of the waitlist. It is the student's responsibility to monitor their email and resolve any issues that may block registration before the 72 hour period expires.

The waitlist process will continue even when the college is closed. Notification will go to students automatically. After the class begins, only instructors can add students into their classes. The instructor must issue add authorization codes to allow students to add the class. Instructors are encouraged to give priority for add authorization codes to those students who are on the waitlist in the order they appear. Students who are still on the waitlist should attend the first day of class to obtain an add authorization code if they are allowed in the class by the instructor. Students, who were unable to add their name to the waitlist because of the waitlist being full, are encouraged to attend the first day of class. If space is available, an instructor may consent to allowing the student to add by issuing an add authorization code. The integrity of the waitlist will be kept intact at all times. Students will not be registered into a full class, even with instructor permission.

Dropping a Class / Withdrawal from College

The specific date for each class is listed under the student's Schedule and Account Information. This can be found by logging into your account. For a step by step tutorial visit

Refund Deadline Up to 10% of Class No instructor signature is required. No notation or grade will appear on the student's record. Student will be eligible for a fee refund. A petition for refund must be submitted by the deadline.
Last Day to Drop Without a "W" Up to 20% of Class No notation or grade will show on the student's record.
Last Day to Drop With a "W" Up to 75% of Class A grade of "W" will appear on the student's record.
No Drops Allowed 75% to End of Session No drops are allowed during this period. An evaluative grade ("A", "B", "C", "D", "F/FW", "P/NP") or incomplete must be given. Students must petition for an incomplete grade. Please contact your instructor to do so.


Spring 2015 fees are due and payable no later than 5:00pm on February 19, 2015.

If payment in full is not received by the deadline a hold will be placed on your account. Any registration fees incurred after the deadline are due at the time of registration. Failure to attend a class once enrolled does not absolve students from payment of fees. Students will be held accountable for all fees incurred unless classes are dropped by the specified deadlines and a Petition for Refund Form is submitted by the specified deadline.

Enrollment Fee
Required of All Students

$46 per unit (subject to change).
No maximum amount.

Eligible students may qualify for a waiver of their enrollment fees. Dependents of service-connected disabled or deceased veterans may be eligible for a waiver of fees.* Contact Financial Aid for more information.

*Special part-time concurrently enrolled students enrolled in 10.5 or fewer units are exempt.

10% of class meetings.
Check with A&R for specific dates.

Non-Resident Tuition
Required of All Out-Of-State and
International Students
$200 per unit + $46 per unit enrollment fee (see above, subject to change).

Eligible students, other than nonimmigrant aliens, who meet certain requirements under AB 540, may be exempt from paying non-resident tuition. See the
College Catalog.
10% of class meetings. Check with A&R for specific dates. 100% Refund
20% of class meetings. Check with A&R for specific dates. 80% Refund
After 20% of class
Check with A&R for specific dates.
No Refund
Barstow DoD Online

(Contract Education)

$165 per unit. 10% of class meetings. Check with A&R for specific dates. 100% Refund
20% of class meetings. Check with A&R for specific dates. 80% Refund
After 20% of class
Check with A&R for specific dates.
No Refund
Student Activities Fee $7 - Funds support the many student organizations/clubs on campus, as well as academic, cultural, and social events and activities offered by the Associated Student Government at BCC. Non-refundable. Fee may be waived by students who waive their right to participate in elections for ASG representatives and officers and do not wish to participate in academic, cultural, and social events and activities offered by the ASG. The student must complete the Request for Waiver of the Student Activities Fee, obtain the signature of the Director of Student Development and Outreach or the President of the Associated Student Government, and submit the form to Admissions and Records by the published deadline to pay fees for the semester or within one week of registering for late registrations. Failure to submit the fee waiver by the deadline will result in the inability to waive the fee. 
Waiver forms are available.
Student Representation Fee
Required of All Students
$1 - Funds are used for purposes related to representing students’ views with governmental bodies.

Non-refundable. Fee may be waived due to religious, political, moral or financial reasons. The student must complete the Request for Waiver of the Student Representation Fee, obtain the signature of the Director of Student Development and Outreach or the President of the Associated Student Government, and submit the form to Admissions and Records by the published deadline to pay fees for the semester or within one week of registering for late registrations. Failure to submit the fee waiver by the deadline will result in the inability to waive the fee.
Waiver forms are available.

Audits or Community Service Audit Fee - $15 per unit, waived if enrolled in 10 or more units and auditing 3 or fewer units. Community Service fee varies.

Non-refundable unless class was
cancelled. Fees must be paid at time of registration.

Returned Check Fee $10

Charge for personal checks returned for non-sufficient funds.

Materials Fee Variable

Some classes require a fee for instructional materials, testing, etc. This charge is noted under the appropriate class listing. Students will be dropped if fees are not received before the class meeting.


Deadline to apply for a refund is the last day of the semester for fall and spring or June 30th for the summer semester.

Students are eligible for a refund of fees if 1) class withdrawal occurs by the drop deadline (login to your account and view your Schedule and Account Information for the Refund Deadline as it varies by class) and 2) a Refund Petition Form is submitted by the deadline listed above.
  • Petition for Refund Forms can be picked up in Admissions and Records. It may take 4-6 weeks for you to receive your refund check. Credit card adjustments and cash refunds are not available.
  • CANCELLED CLASSES: Your refund will be automatically sent to you.
  • REFUNDS FOR BOGW-ELIGIBLE STUDENTS: If you paid for your classes and later qualify for a fee waiver, you must apply for a refund by the deadline.

General Information


Students wanting to audit a class are required to wait until after the second class meeting to sign up for auditing on a space-available basis upon permission from the instructor. This is to ensure that students desiring to take classes for credit toward degree or certificate completion are given the opportunity to do so. The cost is $15 per unit per semester and it must be paid at the time of registration. Students enrolling in 10 or more units and auditing 3 or fewer units will not be required to pay the $15 per unit fee. Audit fees are non-refundable.

Bookstore Authorizations

Students who have submitted all required financial aid documentation, who are in acceptable SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) standing, and officially enrolled in classes for the semester may be eligible for a Bookstore Authorization to utilize financial aid funds to purchase books in the Viking Shop Book Store. Authorizations are available the week before the semester begins through the Thursday of the second week class. Any funds utilized will reduce the student's financial aid check. If it's determined the student is ineligible for financial aid after the Bookstore Authorization has been used, the student will be in overpayment for the funds and will be required to pay back the amount of the overpayment to the College.

Cancelled Classes

Students will be notified via email if a class is cancelled before the first day of class. If a class must be cancelled after classes begin, the instructor will inform the students and signs will be posted on the classroom door. Keep your address and phone number current. Refunds will be processed automatically.

Change in Address

Admissions and Records should be notified of any change in address, phone number, name, or social security number. Address and phone number changes may also be made by logging into your student account online at,

Class Conflicts

Students may not enroll in two or more sections of the same class during the same term unless the sections do not have overlapping dates. Students may not enroll in classes where the meeting time or the start and end times of the classes are the same. Students may petition to the Scholastic Standards Committee through Admissions and Records to enroll in classes with overlapping times, not to exceed ten minutes, if failure to enroll would prevent the student from completing the program of study in a timely manner. Students may not petition for overlapping enrollment for mere scheduling convenience.

College Catalog

The college catalog may be viewed online at

Delinquent Debts / Holds

Check your account online to view any registration holds. Check with the appropriate office to clear any outstanding holds. Holds must be removed before you can complete the registration process.

Fee Refunds

To be eligible for a fee refund, the student must drop the class within 10% of the class (login to your account and view your Schedule and Account Information for the Refund Deadline as it varies by class) and submit a Petition for Refund to Admissions and Records before the petition deadline. Refunds are not automatic unless the class is cancelled. To determine the deadline by which you must drop a class, please login to your account and view your Schedule and Billing Statement or contact Admissions and Records.

Grades and Transcripts

Students may obtain grades and unofficial transcripts via the internet by logging on to their student account. Students may also see a counselor for an unofficial transcript.

To order official transcripts, go online to Only online transcript requests will be processed during registration. Email or call (760) 252-2411 ext 7236 for more information.

Pass/No Pass Grades

If a class is offered with a Pass/No Pass (P/NP) option, you may elect to take the class on that basis. Pass (P) is equivalent to passing a class with a “C” or better. Grades of P/NP will not be computed in the student’s grade point average. Electing this P/NP option is irreversible. Petitions for P/NP grading are available from Admissions and Records and must be returned by the deadline. Inquire in Admissions and Records for deadlines for other short-term classes.

Repeating Classes

Any class in which a student receives a “W,” “D,” “F,” “FW,” or “NP” may be repeated twice. Upon repetition, if a higher grade is earned, only the higher grade shall be used in computing the grade point average, although the original entry will always remain on the student’s permanent record ensuring a true and complete academic history. Class repetition for legally mandated training may be allowed. Please see the College Catalog for more information.

Self-Service for Students through the Web

Not only can you add and drop classes via the Internet, you can also access a number of student services. This includes viewing your academic transcript, class schedule for the term, and your student account. For step by step tutorials please visit

Maximum Units Allowed (Study Loads)

Fall and Spring: Students may enroll in 18 units or fewer without approval. Students desiring to enroll in 18.5 - 21 units must have a 3.0 GPA and request approval by submitting the Maximum Unit Increase Form to Admissions and Records.

Summer: Students may enroll in 10 units or fewer without approval. Students desiring to enroll in more than 10 units must have a 3.0 GPA and request approval by submitting the Maximum Unit Increase Form to Admissions and Records.


Residency Statement

By State law, Barstow Community College is required to obtain from its students evidence of physical presence in California for one year prior to the start of the semester and their intent to make California their home state for other than a temporary period. For this reason, the student must furnish all information required on the Admissions Application. Residency documentation may be requested.

For more information on establishing or proving residency, see the Residency Determination Checklist which is available online at or from Admissions and Records.

Non-Citizens of the United States

A non-citizen is defined as (1) a citizen or permanent resident of the United States but a resident of California for less than one year on the day before classes begin or (2) a person who is neither a citizen nor permanent resident of the United States.

Persons who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States who wish to enroll at Barstow Community College should contact Admissions and Records for further information.

Eligible students, who meet certain requirements under AB 540, may be exempt from paying nonresident tuition. See the College Catalog for more information.

Admision e Inscripcion

Barstow Community College recibe a los estudiantes que son graduados de las escuelas secundarias y también a los que se han aprobado el examen del California State Proficiency y son certifacados por el estado de California. Se les permite admisión también a otros candidatos de 18 anos o mas, quienes pueden aprovechar de la instrucción quese les ofrezca. Cualquier persona quien ha servido en las fuerzas armadas de los Estados Unidos es elegible para admisón a Barstow Community College.

Students Under 19 Years of Age

You must complete the section of the Residency Questionnaire and Admissions Application that applies to you. If the parent(s) with whom you live has a last name which is different than yours, state the relationship. If you have a guardian, he or she must be court appointed.

Students Under 18 Years of Age

Residency of a student under 18 years of age is assumed to be that of his/her parent(s) or legal guardian. The burden of proof of residency lies with the student. If you are not 18 years of age, you must submit proof of high school graduation or the U.S. equivalent when applying for admission. Students in high school must complete and submit a Concurrent Enrollment Petition for Special Part-time Students form signed by a parent or guardian, the school principal (or designee), and a Barstow Community College Counselor. This form authorizes enrollment and must state the specific class(es) in which the student plans to enroll. Students are not allowed to enroll in any class that is not listed on the permission slip.

Active Military or Dependents

Military personnel and family members who list California as their home of record are considered residents regardless of duty station. Military personnel and family members not listing California as home of record who are stationed in California for other than educational purposes will be granted residency. Residency remains in effect as long as the student is continuously enrolled. Continuous enrollment is defined as enrollment for the fall and spring semester; summer enrollment is not required for continuous enrollment.

Change in Residency Status

Students who have been out-of-state residents must submit the Residency Determination Checklist, found online at in order to change their status. Residency documents should be submitted to Admissions and Records prior to the start of the semester. Out-of-state residency will not be changed automatically. State law requires consideration of financial independence for students seeking reclassification.

Residency Classification Appeal

Any student, following a final decision on residency classification by Admissions and Records, may make written appeal to the Vice President of Student Services within 30 days of notification of the final residency decision.

Services Available for Students

Associated Student Government (ASG)

One of the important opportunities of college life is participation in extracurricular activities such as student clubs and campus programs. The Student Senate is an elected governing council of students who coordinate student activities, transact student business, and represent student views to the administration and Board on various issues. For more information, call (760) 252-2411 ext 7258..


Barstow Community College offers comprehensive counseling services to assist students in meeting educational, vocational, and personal goals. Every student should meet with a counselor early to plan a class of study. Each new, matriculated student must see a counselor in order to register and enroll. Barstow Community College counselors offer extensive academic advisement, including educational plans, transfer advisement, degree and certificate evaluation, assessment score interpretation, interpretation of institutional academic policies, academic and progress probation, counseling, and career counseling. General counseling is available on a walk-in or appointment basis. Call (760) 252-2411 ext 7351 or email for an appointment or additional information. Call (760) 252-2411 ext 7617 or email for Ft. Irwin counseling questions. Students participating in EOPS or ACCESS should contact those departments for more information.

Financial Aid

Students who need financial assistance should contact the Financial Aid Office at (760) 252-2411 ext 7205 or by email at well in advance of enrollment so that funds will be available when they are needed. Applications are available for federal and state grants.

Any student desiring federal financial aid benefits must have a high school diploma or the equivalent and meet Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines.

For more information regarding financial aid opportunities, visit


You are invited to visit the college library. Become acquainted with a collection of more than 45,000 books and videos, 158 magazines and journal subscriptions, online catalogs, and databases. Ask a staff member for a library tour, browse subject bibliographies, and check out monthly displays. For more information, call (760) 252-2411 ext 7270 or see the library’s web page at

Lost and Found

Found property should be turned over to the Maintenance Technician in the Warehouse or left in the mailroom in the Administration Building. Inquiries for lost property can be made to (760) 252-2411 ext 7259. Owners must appear in person to identify and claim lost items. Unclaimed property will be disposed of after 30 days.

Serviceman’s Opportunity College (SOC)

Barstow Community College recognizes that individuals in the armed forces and their dependents have unique educational needs. The College commits its resources to meeting those needs. Equivalency credit may be granted for up to 30 units for military MOS and basic training. Credit may also be awarded for CLEP, DANTES, and other nationally approved testing programs. Wherever possible, the schedule of classes is built around the military site training and operational mission. Call (760) 252-2411 ext 7351 on campus or the Ft. Irwin center at ext 7601 for more information.

Special Programs and Services (SPS)

  • CalWORKs/Workforce Development Center:

CalWORKs/WDC assists eligible students with support services such as child care, career development, and employment placement. The program is designed to serve individuals attending classes in approved programs AND receiving Temporary Aid to Needy Families. For more information, contact (760) 252-2411 ext 7209.

  • Accessibility Coordination Center and Education Support Services (ACCESS)

Students who have a physical, learning, or communication disability may benefit from services offered by ACCESS. Barstow Community College offers assistance, special classes, and accommodation services for both day and evening students. Some facilities have been modified to assist students toward educational goals. For further information, visit the ACCESS or call (760) 252-2411 ext 7225 or TTY (760) 252-6759.

  • Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)

EOPS is a state-funded program that provides special services and assistance to educationally and economically disadvantaged students. Services include textbooks, child care assistance, transportation assistance, a summer readiness program, priority registration, counseling, peer advising, financial assistance, and other supportive services.

  • Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE)

CARE provides special services over and above those provided by EOPS for students who are currently receiving public assistance, are single heads of household, have a child under fourteen years of age, and are accepted into the EOPS Program.

EOPS/CARE students must enroll in 12 units, be a California resident as determined by Admissions and Records, be BOG A or B eligible and provide assessment scores. Contact the EOPS Office for eligibility criteria and an application at (760) 252-2411 ext 7255 or 7201.

Transfer and Career Planning Center

The Transfer and Career Planning Center (TCPC) offers interviews with college representatives, tours of local colleges and universities, admission application forms for CSU and UC, an online college catalog service, videos and career-planning software that allows career and college research and planning. Call (760) 252-2411 ext 7321 for more information.

Tutorial Services Program

The purpose of the Tutorial Services Program is to provide timely assistance to students according to their expressed academic needs and to promote success. This service takes place within an environment conducive to learning. To accomplish this goal, the Tutorial Services Program provides a fivefold approach:

  • Walk-in tutoring center
  • One-on-one tutoring
  • Group study
  • Study hall
  • Online tutoring

To take advantage of these services, a student must be registered in one or more classes at Barstow Community College and enrolled in Education 150. The service is free. To become a tutor, a student must have completed the class to be tutored with a "B" or higher, be referred by the instructor, maintain an overall 2.5 GPA and complete the required eight-module training program. For more information, visit the Tutorial Center located in the Library or call (760) 252-2411 ext 7261.

Viking Shop Bookstore

The Viking Shop is the campus and community resource for textbooks, supplies and other materials. In addition to required class items, the Viking Shop has a variety of study aids available. The campus store offers a selection of college logo items, including clothing and gift items. An array of snack items can also be purchased at the bookstore. If you have questions about textbooks you may contact the Viking Shop via email at or by phone at (760) 252-6722. Students may also shop for books online 24 hours a day, seven days per week at the online site In addition to the basic services, the bookstore offers special orders for books. A public fax service is also available.

Viking Shop Store Hours

For information on store hours please visit our website at or contact us by phone at (760)252- 6722. The Viking Shop observes all campus holidays and closures.


Textbooks may be returned on full-term classes (18 weeks) up to three weeks after the class start date. Textbooks purchased for short-term classes (9 weeks or less) may be returned up to one week after the start of classes. Some restrictions may apply. Please contact the Viking Shop for more information.

Book Buyback Dates

Textbook buy back is available at the beginning, middle, and end of fall and spring semesters. Buyback is an opportunity to receive money back for books used during the term. The buyback is conducted by an independent book buyer. There is no guarantee by the bookstore that a book will be bought back at the end of the term. However, when a book is eligible to be bought back it may be worth up to 50% of the initial purchase price. Contact the bookstore for more information.

Off Campus Bookstore Services

Students may also shop for books online 24 hours a day, seven days per week at the online site For further information about textbooks for Fort Irwin classes, please contact us by phone at (760) 252-6722.

Vocational and Technical Education (VTEA)

The VTEA program assists eligible vocational students majoring in any of the following areas: accounting, business, computer science, and management. Eligible students must be BOGW eligible and enrolled in a qualified vocational class. VTEA provides book loans, transportation assistance, child care assistance, and academic/vocational counseling. For more information, call (760) 252-2411 ext 7230.

Veterans Services

Veterans or their dependents may receive educational benefits for attending BCC. Contact (760) 252-2411 ext 7205 or email for more information. Veterans’ dependents may also be eligible for fee waivers. Contact Financial Aid for more information.

Visual Image Use

Barstow Community College reserves the right to use visual images of students and visitors, age 18 and older, taken on college property and at college sponsored events for marketing and promotional purposes. Objection to the use of an individual's image may be made in writing to the Public Information Office in the Administration Building.

College Policies

Open Class Policy

It is College policy that, unless specifically exempted by statute, every course shall be fully open to enrollment and participation by anyone who has been admitted to the college and who meets such prerequisites and co-requisites as may be established pursuant to Title 5 of the California Administrative Code.

Academic Accommodation

Students with verified disabilities who may require academic adjustments or auxiliary aids are strongly recommended to contact the ACCESS office early to ensure timely provision of services. Students are encouraged to identify themselves to the appropriate instructors to discuss the details and timelines necessary to provide appropriate accommodations. Students enrolled in online courses are encouraged to contact ACCESS to request academic accommodation. Complaints regarding academic accommodations may be directed to the Vice President of Student Services at (760) 252-2411 ext 7309.

Academic Honesty

Academic honesty is expected from all students at Barstow Community College. Dishonesty in the classroom or the laboratory, cheating, plagiarism, or knowingly furnishing false information to the College are all grounds for discipline.


Instructors have the authority to establish attendance standards in classes, and it is the student’s responsibility to meet these requirements. It is also the student’s responsibility to drop a class that he/she no longer plans to attend. Failure to officially withdraw from a class may result in a failing grade. Failure to attend a class once enrolled does not absolve students from payment of fees. Students will be held accountable for all fees incurred unless classes are dropped by the specified refund deadline.

Attendance at First Class Meeting

It is the student’s responsibility to participate fully in class(es) once enrollment is complete. Failure to participate prior to census (20% of the class) will result in an instructor drop. Instructors are required to drop all students considered a “no show” per state regulations. Instructors have the right to determine their own attendance and drop policy. Failure to attend the first class meeting may result in an instructor drop. If a student is unable to attend the first class meeting, it is the student’s responsibility to notify the instructor before that class meeting and request that the seat be held. The instructor is under no obligation to honor this request.

Be sure to review all class syllabi to determine the instructor’s attendance and drop policy. Failure to abide by the policy may result in an instructor drop. If a student is dropped as a no show, the student cannot be added back to the class, unless the drop was a mistake and the student did actually attend the course. If such a circumstance occurs, the student should complete the Late Add Petition found online at and submit it to the instructor; after verifying attendance, the instructor should submit the form to Admissions and Records for processing.

Campus Security Act

The Campus Security Act of 1990 (Public Law 101-542) requires that all colleges and universities receiving Title IV student aid assistance prepare and distribute an annual report setting forth its policies on crime prevention issues and giving statistics on the number of specific crimes which occur on campus. The report must include the number of arrests on campus for liquor law violation, drug abuse violations, and weapon possessions. In addition, the act requires colleges and universities to provide timely warnings to the campus community of certain crimes reported to campus security by local law enforcement which may be considered a threat to other students and employees. This information will be disseminated to students, faculty, and staff on an annual basis and made available in the Library and Student Services Office after September 1 of each year.

Although the College provides security and takes every reasonable preventive measure, it is important that students also take reasonable preventive steps to prevent or avoid criminal behavior. The majority of crimes on the campus are crimes of opportunity. This includes theft of private property such as bicycles, backpacks, books, and theft from vehicles. Awareness by members of the campus community is a major factor in reducing these types of crimes. Your willingness to secure your property and report suspicious activities to a staff member immediately will assist in this endeavor. There is an Incident Form available at Admissions and Records that will assist us in keeping our campus environment safe. Report verbally and in writing any incidents that you observe.

The following contains only information regarding crimes reported to the Barstow Police Department. In compiling and publishing these statistics, the intent is to educate, inform, and raise awareness levels to keep students, staff, and visitors vigilant at all times.






Criminal Homicide










Negligent Manslaughter















Aggravated Assault










Motor Vehicle Theft










Liquor Law Violation Arrests





Drug Abuse Violation Arrests





Weapons Possession Arrests










Children in Classrooms

Children are not permitted in classrooms while class is in session. Attendance in class is limited to officially enrolled students and authorized visitors and guests only. Students shall not allow children to be left unattended or unsupervised anywhere on campus. It is the responsibility of each faculty member to inform students of this requirement.

Computer Use

Employees and students who use District computers and networks and the information they contain, and related resources, have a responsibility not to abuse those resources and to respect the rights of others. Users must respect software copyrights and licenses, respect the integrity of computer-based information resources, refrain from seeking to gain unauthorized access, and respect the rights of other computer users. Students failing to observe the College’s computer use guidelines will be subject to disciplinary action.

Debts to the College

Barstow Community College reserves the right to withhold grades, transcripts, degrees, registration privileges, or any combination thereof, from any student or former student who has failed to pay a proper financial obligation due the District (e.g. returned check, financial aid overpayment, unpaid loan, equipment breakage, unpaid library fine, etc.) Any item or items withheld shall be released when the student satisfactorily meets the financial obligation. Returned checks must be paid in the form of cash or a cashier’s check, and a return check charge of $10 will be added to the amount of the check. Returned checks not resolved in a timely manner will be turned over to the District Attorney’s Office for collection. Barstow Community College participates in the Chancellor’s Office Tax Offset Program. Failure to pay outstanding debts will result in your name being forwarded for collection to the California Franchise Tax Board in the event that you are owed as state refund, win a California Lottery prize or have unclaimed property to be distributed to you by the State of California Controller’s Office for the upcoming tax year.

Drug-Free & Smoke-Free Campus

Barstow Community College supports a drug-free environment. In accordance with federal and state laws, it is unlawful to manufacture, possess, use, sell, or distribute alcohol, narcotics, or other controlled substances on College property or at any College-sponsored activity and is subject to disciplinary action. Both the abuse and moderate use of alcohol and illegal drugs can result in injury and death. While chronic problems are associated with long-term abuse, damage can occur from moderate or even a single experimental use of a substance. Alcohol and drug use seriously impair learning and motivation; disrupts the classroom; jeopardizes our physical and mental health; subjects us to criminal penalties; injures our families; erodes our relationships; and inhibits our ability to benefit from an education. Barstow Community College therefore asks you to support, maintain, and promote actively a drug-free learning environment by being aware and informing others of College policies, referral sources for help and the substantial legal, personal, and health consequences associated with use. If you or someone you know is having problems with alcohol or drugs, seek out confidential assistance on-campus, or from a community agency.

Barstow Community College has been designated a smoke-free campus. Smoking is prohibited in all campus buildings and within 20 feet of any doorway or window.

Nondiscrimination Policy

The District is committed to equal opportunity in educational programs, employment, and all access to institutional programs and activities. The District, and each individual who represents the District, shall provide access to its services, classes, and programs without regard to age, race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation.

Students can present complaints regarding alleged violations of this policy to the Human Resources Director at (760) 252-2411 ext 7277. Complete instructions for filing a complaint can be found in Board Policy and Procedure 3410.

Section 504/Americans with Disabilities Act Policy

Barstow Community College supports the idea that no person shall, on the basis of a physical or mental disability, be unlawfully subjected to discrimination under any program or activity offered under the control of the College. Any student or applicant for admission who believes he/she has been subject to a discriminatory action on the basis of a physical or mental disability may file a complaint with the Vice President of Student Affairs. An employee or applicant for employment may file a complaint with the Human Resources Director.

Inquiries regarding federal laws and regulations concerning nondiscrimination in education or the College’s compliance with those provisions may also be directed to:

Office for Civil Rights, Region IX
U.S. Department of Education
50 Beale Street, Suite 7200
San Francisco, CA 94105
(415) 486-5555 or

Sexual Harassment Policy

The District is committed to providing an academic and work environment that respects the dignity of individuals and groups. The District shall be free of sexual harassment and all forms of sexual intimidation and exploitation. It shall also be free of other unlawful harassment, including that which is based on any of the following statutes; age, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, disability, gender, sexual orientation, or the perception that a person has one or more of the foregoing characteristics.

Sexual harassment violates state and federal laws, as well as Board policy, and will not be tolerated. It is also illegal to retaliate against any individual for filing a complaint of sexual harassment or for participating in a sexual harassment investigation, and retaliation constitutes a violation of this policy.

For more information regarding this policy and the procedures involved, contact the Human Resources Director (for staff) at (760) 252-2411 ext 7277 or the Vice President of Student Services (for students) at ext 7353.

Student Conduct and Discipline

A student admitted to Barstow Community College has an obligation to conduct him/herself in a manner compatible with the social and educational functions of this institution. Published in the College Catalog is Board Policy 5500, which lists the types of conduct that constitute good cause for discipline, including but not limited to the removal, suspension, or expulsion of a student. With regard to disciplinary action, all students shall be entitled to due process in accordance with Education Code, Sections 66017 and 76037, and Board Policy and Procedures 5520.

Student Grievances

Barstow Community College encourages a prompt and equitable method of open communication between students, faculty, and staff. A student may file a grievance when he/she believes that a College faculty or staff member has violated College rules, policies, or procedures or other local, state, or federal laws. For additional information or a copy of the Student Grievance Policy and related procedures, contact the Office of Student Affairs.

Student Right-To-Know Disclosure

In compliance with the Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act of 1990, it is the policy of Barstow Community College to make available its completion and transfer rates to all current and prospective students.

Information about Student Right-to-Know rates for Barstow Community College and how they can be interpreted is published in the Student Handbook and can also be found at the California Community Colleges' web site, "Student Right-to-Know Information Clearinghouse," located at

Student Right-to-Know Disclosure

Pursuant to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 and California Education Code, a student may request to inspect all his/her official school records, files, and related data that are classified as student records. The records will be available for review at a mutually convenient time during regular working hours. If information in the file is inaccurate, misleading, or inappropriate, a student may request removal of the information or include a statement disputing the material that is challenged.

Students have a right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in their education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. FERPA permits disclosures without consent to "school officials" with "legitimate educational interests." "School officials" include Barstow Community College employees; agents of the College (such as an attorney or collection agent); or individuals, including students serving on official committees or assisting a school official perform his/her tasks. A school official has a "legitimate educational interest" if the official needs to review an education record to fulfill his/her professional responsibility. Upon request, the Admissions and Records Office discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks to enroll.

Barstow Community College has designated as "directory" information a student’s name, enrollment status, major, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, past and present participation in recognized activities, and weight and height if an athletic team member.

Unless restricted by the student, the college may release directory information at any time to any requesting party, including the military and for the development of any college-affiliated marketing programs. Students may contact the Admissions and Records Office to limit the release of their directory information.

Title IX Policy

Barstow Community College is committed to support all regulations under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance." Questions regarding Title IX policies can be directed to the Human Resources Director at (760) 252-2411 ext 7277.

Traffic and Parking Regulations

Parking permits are not required, except all vehicles utilizing disabled parking must have a state-issued placard, i.e. Department of Motor Vehicle issued placard, DP, or DV plates. The speed limit unless otherwise posted is 25 MPH on campus roads and 10 MPH in campus parking lots.

Repeated violations of Barstow Community College’s traffic and parking regulations may result in disciplinary action.

blank blank blank blank blank blank blank
BCC English Sequence blank
blank ENGL 101 English Skills Non Degree Applicable arrow to ENGL 102 shaded areas indicate possible course blank
ENGL 1B Intro to Literature UC/CSU blank
blank ENGL 5 Intro to CHLD Lit UC/CSU ENGL 102 English Skills Non Degree Applicable arrow to ENGL 50 blank
ENGL 1C Critical Thinking & Composition UC/CSU blank
ENGL 50 Basic English arrow to ENGL 1A and arrows to ENGL 50 and 11 blank
ENGL 11 Graphic Novel as Literature CSU blank
ENGL 2 Survey of English Literature UC/CSU blank
blank ENGL 1A Eng. Composition & Reading UC/CSU arrow to all upper division ENGL Classes blank
ENGL 3 Survey of English Literature UC/CSU blank
ENGL 4 Intro to Shakespeare UC/CSU blank
blank blank blank
ENGL 7 Creative Writing UC/CSU blank
blank blank
ENGL 10 Intro to Linguistics UC/CSU blank
blank blank blank blank blank blank blank blank blank blank blank blank blank blank blank
BCC Math Sequence blank
Math 101 Arithmetic (Non Degree Applicable with arrow to Math 50 shaded areas indicate possible course blank
MATH 50 Elementary Algebra with arrow to MATH 55 blank
MATH 55 Intermediate Algebra with arrows to MATH 1, 2, 3 and 5 blank
MATH 1 Trigonometry CSU with Arrow to MATH 4A MATH 2 Introduction to Statistics UC/CSU with arrow to MATH 4A MATH 3 College Algebra UC/CSU with arrow to MATH 4A MATH 5 Ideas of Math UC/CSU with arrow to MATH 4A blank
MATH 4A Calculus I UC/CSU with arrow to MATH 4B For students entering BCC in Fall 2009 or later, the minimum requirement for the Associate's Degree will be MATH 55 or higher. blank
Both Math 1 and Math 3 are prerequisites for MATH 4A blank
MATH 4B Calculus II UC/CSU with arrow to MATH 4C blank
All prerequisites must be completed with a "C" grade or better. blank
MATH 4C Calculus II UC/CSU blank



Cooperative Work Experience Education (CWEE) is a process of education which combines work experience with regular college instruction as an integral part of the community college curriculum. It is called Cooperative Work Experience Education because it is dependent upon employers and educators cooperating to form a more complete design to develop skills and knowledge to improve self-understanding by integrating classroom study with planned, supervised work experience.

CWEE is based on the principle that well-educated individuals develop most effectively through an education pattern which incorporates work experience. Through these structured experiences in business, industry, government and human services, the students bring enrichment to their college study which enhances their total development.

There are two types of Work Experience Education Programs:

General Work Experience Education Programs. This is a supervised employment intended to assist students in acquiring desirable work habits, attitudes and career awareness. General Work Experience Education Programs need not be related to a student's specific educational goals. A maximum of six semester credit hours may be earned in general work experience education.

Occupational Work Experience Education Programs. This is supervised employment extending classroom based occupational learning at an on-the-job learning site relating to the student's educational goal. A maximum of eight units may be earned in occupational work experience education during one enrollment period for a total of 16 semester units.

CWEE credits are degree applicable and transferable to the California State University system. Credit is awarded on the basis of objectives completed and the number of hours worked. The student needs a minimum of 75 hours of paid work, or 60 hours of voluntary work, for each unit of credit. Students must have a prearranged work site. They may utilize their present work sites.


When registering for CWEE, students will initially be placed into a one unit section of:

* COOP 83 General Work Experience or * COOP 82 Occupational Work Experience

All registered students are required to:

  1. Have prearranged employment/volunteer arrangements prior to enrolling.
  2. Obtain a copy of the CWEE Handbook (available online at
  3. Attend the mandatory orientation meeting (see day/time/location below) at which time the student's work schedule, work position, and its relationship to the student's field of study will be reviewed by the instructor in order to determine the appropriate course and number of units in which the student will officially be enrolled. Failure to attend this mandatory meeting may result in the student being dropped from the course.
  4. Sign (along with the instructor) a Units and Course Agreement Form detailing the student's major, expected work hours, and a brief description of the student's assigned job duties. The instructor will forward the form to Admissions and Records at which point the student's registration status will be changed to reflect the correct course and the appropriate number of units.
  5. Submit to the instructor accurate records of hours worked. If at the end of the 9-week session the student has not completed the required hours for the assigned units, the number of units enrolled could be reduced.